Storage of Chemicals
The following requirements apply to the storage of chemicals:
- Do not store chemicals in alphabetical order, segregate as required by the chemical’s classification.
- Store heavy containers or packages of chemicals between knee and shoulder height;
- Protect chemical containers from falling (e.g. the use of a barrier or a lip on shelving);
Please refer to the Chemical Management Plan under the Storage section for further information and Curtin’s requirements on the following topics:
- Correct storage and handling (including decanting) of chemicals
- Segregation and incompatibilities can be achieved by firstly following the specific storage requirements detailed on the Safety Data sheet.
- Maximum storage quantities in laboratories, refrigerators, freezers and bulk stores.
Chemicals can react with each other to cause fire or the release of toxic gases. As a result, it is essential that incompatible substances are appropriately segregated. Refer to the Chemical Management Plan under the Storage section.