Elite athlete program
Curtin is an elite athlete friendly university, supporting over 170 student-athletes annually, including Olympians, Paralympians, Commonwealth Games, professional athletes, World/National Champions and National/State level representatives. Eligible athletes can apply for ‘Elite Athlete Status’ which gives them access to academic considerations.
Curtin is endorsed by the Australian Institute of Sport (AIS) as part of the Elite Athlete Education Network (EAEN). Following the principles of the EAEN, our program has an overriding objective to assist our student athletes in the pursuit of dual careers (combining high-performance sport and a tertiary education).
Endorsed members of the EAEN commit to a range of guiding principles and minimum standards through consultation with the AIS. This is a national network that supports Australian athletes within the high performance sport system.
The Elite Athlete Program may support elite athletes through:
- Flexible study, assessment and examination options where appropriate,
- Complimentary Curtin Stadium Gym membership,
- Opportunity to access the Elite Athlete Grant,
- Identification of contact to provide advice and guidance to athletes on academic planning, course management and timetabling, and
- Advocacy within the education environment for Elite Athletes within Curtin University.
To be eligible for Elite Athlete Status, students must be representing Australia or a State/Territory of Australia in a supported and recognised sport. Students who fall outside of this definition may still apply however the decision will be at the Manager, Programs Curtin Sport and Recreation’s discretion.
Curtin Sport and Recreation works closely with State Sporting Associations (SSAs), the Western Australian Institute of Sport (WAIS) and other peak bodies to ensure that Curtin University has a strong and viable Elite Athlete Program. You are considered an elite athlete if you have been identified as such by one of the following organisations:
- the Australian Institute of Sport
- a state institute or academy of sport
- a relevant national or state sporting association
If your sport isn’t on the list of current key sports, we still encourage you to apply. We’ll assess your application based on your individual merit and alignment with our strategic vision.