Management knowledge and skills are valued and needed in small-to-medium enterprises, non-profit organisations, large corporations and government, both locally and globally.
Management is about taking a leading role: supervising and mentoring staff, balancing budgets, and ensuring tasks and projects are completed successfully, together with recognising issues such as values, ethics and sustainability. It means taking responsibility, being entrepreneurial, getting things done and making the most of your staff and resources.
This major focuses on the key challenges facing managers today and in the future. You’ll learn skills in problem-solving, decision-making, critical thinking, communicating with people and handling budgets.
You’ll also learn how organisations work, strategic management, managing change, innovative leadership and incorporating ethics and sustainability into the workplace.
Recommended double majors
- Human Resource Management
- International Business
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Tourism and Hospitality.
What jobs can the Management Major (BCom) lead to?
- Business or retail manager
- Management consultant
- Service delivery manager
- Team leader.
- Training and development.
What you'll learn
- select and apply theories, concepts and techniques to describe, understand, analyse and evaluate management issues and problems
- think creatively and critically to access, evaluate and synthesise information from multiple sources to generate innovative solutions to global management issues
- communicate through using and applying digital technologies, recognizing their advantages and limitations when applied to management for diverse audiences and contexts
- take responsibility for their own learning by demonstrating initiative in finding new information and actively participating in varied learning experiences
- actively support the value of cultural diversity in improving business and professional practice
- demonstrate leadership, ethical practice and professional integrity when working within a team and independently