This is a flexible course designed to help you reach your potential and gain in-depth knowledge and skills of one or more areas of business. You will develop decision-making and leadership skills, which are essential in a future marketplace and benefit from exposure to industry through field trips, internships, work-related tasks, guest lectures and networking events.
In your final year you’ll undertake a capstone experience.
You’ll begin by applying for the Bachelor of Commerce. In your first year, you’ll study business core units, select your major and choose customisation options that complement your major.
View course structure
Study our business core
The degree starts with our business core experience that helps you build skills, knowledge and goals to help you progress into your major. While studying your major, you can explore specialisations or compatible units that give you an edge, to complete your degree structure.
Analytics for Decision Making: You’ll learn basic data analysis to derive essential information from numerical, textual and visual datasets. As well as understanding the legal and ethical issues related to the collection and use of data, you’ll examine case study data sets from a range of business disciplines, communicate your findings to an audience and make recommendations.
Communication, Culture and Indigenous Perspectives in Business: You’ll develop awareness of responsible business practices and cultural, academic and professional integrity in business. These perspectives will help you in business communications and in making business decisions.
Financial Decision Making: You’ll develop the skills and knowledge needed to make informed and responsible decisions using accounting and financial information. You’ll learn basic accounting and financial terminologies, how to interpret financial statements and make investment decisions.
Markets and Legal Frameworks: You’ll explore how key business disciplines are connected and understand the relationship between a business enterprise and stakeholders including government, customers and the broader community. You’ll also identify the laws and regulations applied to businesses, and learn how business and marketing strategies can impact society and the environment.
Strategic Career Design: You’ll explore the impact of changes in the global labour market and social trends and how technological innovation will affect career opportunities and the future of work. These changes have implications for individual and organisational career management strategies, and personal and professional branding in a digitised global economy.
Customise your degree
Step A: Choose your primary major
You’ll select your major during your first semester, to align the Bachelor of Commerce to your dream career:
1. Available to study online
2. Available as part of a defined double major
3. Includes an embedded specialisation for accreditation by a professional body. Cannot be studied as part of a double major
Step B: Complement your major
You'll select one of four options:
Option 1: A second major
With this option you benefit from studying two disciplines in equal depth and graduating with a double major. You can choose a second Commerce major, or a one of the following majors from the Bachelor of Arts or Bachelor of Creative Arts:
Option 2: Two Business specialisations
A specialisation contains half the number of units as a major, allowing you to broaden your degree by studying two complementary disciplines alongside your primary major. View list of specialisations.
Option 3: A Business specialisation and a non-Business specialisation
Customise your degree by selecting a business specialisation and a specialisation from another area such as arts, design or even science. View list of specialisations.
Option 4: A Business specialisation and electives
You can complement your business specialisation with four elective units. You can choose elective units from any course offered at Curtin, provided you meet the unit prerequisites.
Step C: Choose your capstone experience
In your final year, you will also undertake a capstone experience to further your practical skills and international business knowledge.
You’ll have a choice of several capstone experiences*:
Enhancing Your Business Mind
Designed in consultation with industry, this unit aims to equip you with skills needed to succeed in the business environment. The content is designed around you, the student, to be fun, engaging, stimulating, and educational all at once. The unit will push you out of your comfort zone (in the most supportive way of course) to teach you things that you didn’t realise you needed to know – your first job outside of university is a big step in your career and we want you to feel confident in your ability to have a positive impact on your new team’s environment.
Business Innovation Lab
You’ll use your initiative, creativity and adaptability as you work on an applied business project within a start-up environment.
As part of an interdisciplinary team, you'll solve a problem or advance an innovation while demonstrating your managerial judgement, professional communications and commitment to responsible business practice.
You’ll have the opportunity to gain work experience with an external employer or work on a real industry project related to your area of study, in Australia or internationally. These projects have defined objectives with activities that a graduate in the role would be expected to complete. Note that selection for internships is a competitive process.
During your internship, you could:
- conduct research or data analysis
- scope the viability of new projects
- support the implementation of new systems
- revise marketing strategies
- assist with an upcoming event.
Interactive Study Tour
Our Interactive Study Tour allows you to have a study abroad experience from home! You'll collaborate with fellow students from Curtin's global campuses to develop strategies for dealing with current and emerging global problems.
Business and Law International Experience
Complete your degree while travelling the world by studying a short course with one of our exchange partners.
Business Study Tour
Visit regions, countries and organisations in Australia or overseas to experience different ways of doing business.
* Note that opportunities may vary according to academic performance and any international travel restrictions.
Learn alongside the next generation of business leaders and researchers with the Bachelor of Advanced Commerce (Honours). This course is available to a selected cohort of elite students and combines the three-year Bachelor of Commerce with the one-year Honours program.
How this course will make you industry ready
- We seek input from business leaders to ensure your course stays at the forefront of industry trends.
- Through your course, you will develop key professional, practical skills that you can apply to your first job.
- Our teaching staff are experts in their fields, many with extensive industry experience. Classes often include guest speakers.
- You may gain work experience through work placements, vacation placements and internships. Many units include interaction with local businesses and real-world assessments.
What you'll learn
- apply discipline knowledge to solve complex business problems and create innovative business solutions that consider the global business environment
- communicate professionally, and in ways that are responsible and appropriate for local, national and international business contexts
- use relevant technologies and industry information to analyse business problems in ways that demonstrate critical thinking and responsible judgement
- demonstrate an understanding of cultural diversity and the how this informs respectful and responsible business practices.
- demonstrate industry readiness through the development of sound practical business solutions, and critical reflection of individual capabilities and the future of work