The Bachelor of Commerce is a flexible degree designed to help you reach your potential and gain in-depth knowledge and skills of one or more areas of business.
You’ll begin by applying for the Bachelor of Commerce. In your first year, you’ll study our business core units and choose your major. You’ll also get to complement your primary major with several customisation options.
This course will help develop your decision-making and leadership skills, which are essential in a future marketplace. You’ll benefit from exposure to industry through field trips, internships, practical assignments, guest lectures and networking events.
In your final year, you’ll undertake a Capstone Experience.
Study our business core
The course starts with our business core units, which will give you a solid foundation in business theory and practice. You will undertake the following units in your first year of study:
Communication Culture and Indigenous Perspectives in Business
You’ll develop an awareness of responsible business practices, and cultural, academic and professional integrity in business.
These perspectives will help you in business communications and when making business decisions.
Strategic Career Design
You’ll discover the impact of changes in the global labour market and social trends, and how technological innovation will affect career opportunities and the future of work.
These changes have implications for individual and organisational career management strategies, and personal and professional branding in a digitised global economy.
Markets and Legal Frameworks
You’ll explore how key business disciplines are connected and understand the relationship between a business enterprise and stakeholders including government, customers and the broader community.
You’ll also identify the laws and regulations applied to businesses, and learn how business and marketing strategies can impact society and the environment.
Financial Decision Making
You’ll develop the skills and knowledge needed to make informed and responsible decisions using accounting and financial information.
You’ll explore basic accounting and financial terminologies, learn how to interpret financial statements and make investment decisions.
Analytics for Decision Making
You’ll learn basic data analysis to derive essential information from numerical, textual and visual datasets.
As well as understanding the legal and ethical issues related to the collection and use of data, you’ll examine case study data sets from a range of business disciplines, communicate your findings to an audience and make recommendations.
Customise your degree
Step 1: Choose your primary major
You’ll select your major during your first semester, to align the Bachelor of Commerce to your dream career:
- Audit Analytics1,2
- Business Information Systems
- Business Information Systems Extension3
- Business Law1
- Financial Planning2
- Human Resource Management
- International Business
- Logistics and Supply Chain Management
- Property Investment and Development
- Property Development and Valuation Extension3
- Tourism and Hospitality
1. Available to study online.
2. Available as part of a defined double major.
3. Includes an embedded specialisation for accreditation by a professional body. Cannot be studied as part of a double major.
Step 2: Complement your primary major
You'll select one of four options:
Option 1: Choose a second major
With this option you benefit from studying two disciplines in equal depth and graduating with a double major. You can choose from:
- a second Commerce major or
- a secondary major from the Bachelor of Arts or the Bachelor of Creative Arts.
- Anthropology and Sociology
- Creative Writing
- Digital and Social Media
- Fine Art
- International Relations
- Literary and Cultural Studies
- Professional Writing and Publishing
- Theatre Arts
Option 2: Choose two business specialisations
A business specialisation contains half the number of units as a major, allowing you to broaden your degree by studying two complementary disciplines alongside your primary major.
Option 3: Choose one business specialisation and one arts, design or science specialisation
Customise your degree by selecting a business specialisation and a specialisation from another area such as Digital Design, Environmental Planning, Journalism, Social Justice or Web Media.
Option 4: One specialisation and four electives
You can choose elective units from any course offered at Curtin, provided you meet the unit prerequisites.
Step 3: Choose your Capstone experience
In your final year, you will also undertake a Capstone Experience* to further your practical skills and international business knowledge.
You’ll have a choice of the following Capstone Experiences:
Enhancing Your Business Mind
You’ll apply your entrepreneurial skills, business ideas and out-of-the-box thinking to a real business environment, improving your employability.
Business Innovation Lab
You’ll use your initiative, creativity and adaptability as you work on an applied business project within a start-up environment.
As part of an interdisciplinary team, you will solve a problem or advance an innovation while demonstrating your managerial judgement, professional communications and commitment to responsible business practice.
You’ll have the opportunity to gain work experience with an external employer or work on a real industry project related to your area of study, in Australia or internationally. These projects have defined objectives, with activities a graduate in that role would be expected to complete.
On an internship, you could:
- conduct research or data analysis
- scope the viability of new projects
- support the implementation of new systems
- revise marketing strategies
- assist with an upcoming event.
You will be selected for an internship through a competitive process.
Interactive Study Tour
Our Interactive Study Tour allows you to have a study abroad experience from home! You will connect with fellow students from our global campuses and work together to develop strategies for dealing with current and emerging global problems.
Business and Law International Experience
Complete your degree while travelling the world by studying a short course with one of our exchange partners.
Business Study Tour
Visit regions, countries and organisations in Australia or overseas to experience different ways of doing business.
* Opportunities may vary depending on academic performance. Due to the current situation surrounding COVID-19 please also be advised that opportunities may be revised, postponed or cancelled if there are international travel restrictions in place or if there is insufficient time to safely coordinate your experience.
How this course will make you industry ready
A degree is not just about what you know - it's also about what you can do. We know employers want graduates with both business knowledge and practical skills to hit the ground running. This degree will prepare you to graduate career-ready by building these business skills and providing real workplace learning experiences.
What you'll learn
- apply discipline knowledge to solve complex business problems and create innovative business solutions that consider the global business environment
- communicate professionally, and in ways that are responsible and appropriate for local, national and international business contexts
- use relevant technologies and industry information to analyse business problems in ways that demonstrate critical thinking and responsible judgement
- demonstrate an understanding of cultural diversity and the how this informs respectful and responsible business practices.
- demonstrate industry readiness through the development of sound practical business solutions, and critical reflection of individual capabilities and the future of work