This internet browser is outdated and does not support all features of this site. Please switch or upgrade to a different browser to display this site properly.

Students who are carers of a person with disability

If you have a significant caring role for a relative or friend who has a disability and your responsibilities are impacting on your studies, you may be eligible for support and adjustments to your study program and a Curtin Access Plan.

Definition of a carer

A carer is defined by the Carer Recognition Act 2010 as “an individual who provides personal care, support and assistance to another individual who needs it because that other individual:

  1. Has a disability; or
  2. Has a medical condition (including a terminal or chronic illness); or
  3. Has a mental illness; or
  4. Is frail and aged.”

An individual is not a carer merely because he or she (a) is the spouse, de facto partner, parent, child or other relative of an individual, or is the guardian of an individual; or (b) lives with an individual who requires care.

Carer’s documentation requirements

Supporting documentation confirming your carer status will be required. Please complete the Health Professional Report for Carers [.pdf 262kb] and a health professional who is aware of your situation to complete the relevant sections.

If you are providing a letter from a health professional instead of using the form it must be current and include:

  • Information about the condition of the person you are caring for,
  • Whether their condition is permanent, temporary, and
  • How your study may be impacted by your caring responsibilities.

More information and support

Contact AccessAbility Services to make an appointment to discuss your situation and how we may be able to assist you.

We understand that being a carer can be stressful, especially when you’re also studying.

If you’d like to talk to someone about it, contact our student wellbeing advisors.