This internet browser is outdated and does not support all features of this site. Please switch or upgrade to a different browser to display this site properly.

Bringing carers on campus

If you would like to bring a paid or unpaid carer to campus, please contact AccessAbility Services .

The Guidelines for External Support Workers has information on the process and requirements.

It is important that we are aware of any carers who are supporting students on campus so that we can make necessary arrangements with teaching staff, and ensure that carers are aware of important Curtin procedures.

If you have a disability and are not already registered with AccessAbility Services, please make sure you contact us to discuss additional assistance and support that may be available to you.

Insurance coverage for carers on Curtin campuses

If it is necessary for you to bring a carer to assist you on campus, it is important that you consider the insurance obligations for the carer, especially as Curtin cannot provide insurance coverage for any carer unless they are employed directly by the University.

In the instance where a carer is provided by an external body, the external organisation should indemnify and provide insurance coverage for their carers. However, this would not apply if a relative or friend is acting in a voluntary capacity and offering their services free of charge to you.

In these circumstances, it is important that both you and your carer understand any exposures that may exist, in respect of their liability and/or injuries/illnesses sustained while performing these caring duties.