This internet browser is outdated and does not support all features of this site. Please switch or upgrade to a different browser to display this site properly.

Fees glossary

Understanding your fees is important, so we’ve provided definitions below for all the important terms we use when explaining fees at Curtin.

If you can’t find what you’re looking for, please search through our frequently asked questions or contact us at Curtin Connect.

BPAY BPAY is one of the payment methods offered at Curtin. It allows you to pay your fees from your bank account using your bank’s online or mobile banking. You’ll find BPAY details on your eInvoice.
Census date The census date is the last date to withdraw from your units without financial and academic penalty. Please see the census date webpage for further information.
Commonwealth Higher Education Student Support Number (CHESSN) This is your unique student support identifier. It’s issued to you when you access Commonwealth assistance for higher education and can be found on your electronic Commonwealth Assistance Notice (eCAN).
Commonwealth supported place (CSP)A CSP is a place in a course where part of your tuition is subsidised by the Australian government, so you pay a lower fee. You can find out more on the Current students webpage.
Course A course of study (e.g. Bachelor’s course) leading to a higher education award or an enabling course. A combined or double degree is one course of study.
Credit for recognised learning (CRL) Credit for study you’ve previously undertaken or for your work experience. This was previously called recognition for prior learning (RPL). You can find out more on the CRL webpage.
Curtin ePay ePay is Curtin’s online payment system. It is the quickest and most secure way for you to pay your fees.
Domestic fee paying (DFP) place A DFP place is a place in a course that is not subsidised by the Australian government, so you pay the full cost of your course. You can find out more on the Current students webpage.
Domestic student A student who is an Australian citizen or permanent resident, a New Zealand citizen or the holder of an Australian permanent humanitarian visa.
electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) An eCAF is an electronic application for Commonwealth assistance. If you are a domestic student, you must submit a valid eCAF by the study period due date to confirm your Commonwealth supported place (CSP) in a course and/or apply for a HELP loan (e.g. HECS-HELP) to pay your fees.
electronic Commonwealth Assistance Notice (eCAN) Your eCAN is a statement of your enrolment and a record of your use of Commonwealth assistance (e.g. a HECS-HELP loan) for each study period. We’re required to issue an eCAN to you after the census date of every study period; you’ll be able to view yours on the My Documents tab in eStudent.
Equivalent full-time student load (EFTSL) An EFTSL is a representation of what your study load would be for one year of full time study. You can find out more at What is equivalent full time student load (EFTSL)?
ESOS ESOS refers to the Education Services for Overseas Students Act, which is the legislative framework that governs how Curtin offers courses to international students on a student visa.
FEE-HELP Please see What is FEE-HELP?
HECS-HELP Please see What is HECS-HELP?
Higher Education Loan Program (HELP) The Australian government’s loan program, which offers loans to eligible domestic students studying in higher education for their tuition and SSAF. You can find out more on the Current students webpage.
HESA HESA refers to the Higher Education Support Act, which is the main legislative framework regulating and assuring the quality of higher education in Australia.
International student An international student is any person enrolled in a course that is not an Australian citizen or permanent resident, a New Zealand citizen, or the holder of an Australian Permanent Humanitarian Visa.
Not-For-Degree Not-For-Degree study allows students to undertake units at Curtin without being enrolled in a course of study.
Open Universities Australia (OUA) OUA is a higher education facilitator, which provides online study options from a number of Australian universities, including Curtin. You can find out more on the OUA website.
Refund A refund involves the return of money that you have paid upfront to Curtin. You can find out more on the refund and remission of fees webpage.
Remission A remission involves the removal of your HELP debt after you have met the criteria for Withdrawal under Special Circumstances. You can find out more on the refund and remission of fees webpage.
Sanction A warning put on your record to alert you of outstanding requirements, often withholding certain privileges (e.g. access to results) until the requirements are met.
Sponsorship A sponsorship is where your tuition fees are being paid by an organisation (e.g. your employer) who has signed a sponsorship agreement with Curtin.
Student Services and Amenities Fee (SSAF) The SSAF is a fee charged to most students studying at Curtin, which supports the provision of non-academic services and facilities at the University.
Student contribution amountThe amount that you’re required to pay towards your tuition fees if you’re studying in a Commonwealth supported place.
Tax file number (TFN) Your unique identification number from the Australian Tax Office (ATO). You’ll need to provide your TFN to Curtin in an eCAF if you wish to use a HELP loan to pay your fees. 
UnitA unit of study or a subject that you undertake with Curtin, which usually forms part of a course of study.
Upfront paymentPartial or full payment made to Curtin directly for your tuition fees before the study period due date.