To improve your skills with online legal research, Curtin Law students have the opportunity to take part in a series of webinars run by Lexis Advance.
There are three levels to choose from that cover the Foundations of Legal Research, Developing Research Efficiency and Strategic Research Skills.
There are multiple dates for each level of webinar you can choose to attend, and you may sign up for one date for each level.
Level 1: Foundations of Legal Research
This session provides an orientation to Lexis Advance along with introductory tips that will increase research efficiency. Learn how to make the most of the big red search box and quickly narrow down your search results. Discover search strategies for finding cases, legislation, and encyclopaedic works and the value of each content type.
- Wednesday 27 April at 11am AEST
Level 2: Developing Research Efficiency
This session shows you how to work more efficiently using Lexis Advance. The focus of the session will be on refreshing existing knowledge, improving efficiency on Lexis Advance through specific advanced search forms, a look into the impact of Boolean connectors on searching, and collaboration and automation tools. We strongly recommend that you have completed Module 1 before you undertake this training.
- Thursday 28 April at 3pm AEST
Level 3: Strategic Research Skills
This session will show you how to effectively map out a search strategy before you begin your search. This will reduce the amount of time you spend researching. The session will focus on a four-step process that can be used for all online research and a structure that can be used to document the research you’ve undertaken. We strongly recommend that you have completed Module 1 and 2 before you undertake this training.
- Friday 29 April at 1pm AEST
How to register:
- Go to the Lexis® Learning platform: https://learning.lexisnexis.com.au/
- Click on the Register button
- Provide your Curtin email address
- Enter the following Registration ID: 22AUACD01WB01
- Click on the Submit button. You will then need to create a username and password.
- You will also be sent a confirmation email**. Please note that until you have confirmed your account, you are not registered on the site or enrolled in the course.
- Once your account has been confirmed, login to Lexis® Learning with your username and password. The Effective Research Skills course will appear on your dashboard.
- Click on the module tiles and register for the webinar/s you wish to attend by completing the linked Zoom registration form.
For queries and more information, please contact your Faculty Librarians Kitty Delaney and Jaya Ralph.