This is a call for nominations for the election of one undergraduate student member to the Council of Curtin University.
ELECTION OF ONE UNDERGRADUATE STUDENT MEMBER TO THE UNIVERSITY COUNCIL
Curtin University Act 1966
CALL FOR NOMINATIONS
Council is the University’s governing body, established under the Curtin University Act 1966 (“the Act”). Council is responsible for the overall governance and effective management of the University.
Section 9(1)(d)(i) of the Act provides that the membership of Council includes “2 persons who are enrolled students – one of whom is an undergraduate student and who is elected by the undergraduate students in the manner prescribed by Statute”. Student Council members hold office for a period of one year.
The term of office for the newly elected undergraduate student to Council will be from 4 August 2022 to 3 August 2023.
Undergraduate students considering nominating for election are encouraged to read the University’s Corporate Governance Statement before nominating. The Statement, other relevant governance documents and Council meeting dates for 2022 can be found on the Council webpage.
Elected Student Members are expected to bring a student perspective to the Council. All Council members are required to act in the best interests of the University at all times.
Students Eligible for Election:
All undergraduate students of the University are eligible for election to Council in this election.
Under section 9A(3) of the Act, an elected student “may be re-elected once, but only once, on the expiry of their term of office, if they continue to be qualified under section 9.”
Students Eligible to Nominate a Candidate:
An undergraduate student of the University may nominate themself, or nominate another undergraduate student to be a candidate for this election.
The nominations period commences at 9:00am on Tuesday, 21 June 2022. Nominations are to be made using the nomination form. The nomination form must be completed, signed and dated by both the nominee and nominator, and returned to the Secretariat by email (scan and send to: firstname.lastname@example.org).
All completed nomination forms must be returned to the Secretariat by 2:00pm on Wednesday, 6 July 2022
Nomination forms received after this time will not be accepted.
Supporting Candidate Statements and/or Photographs:
A candidate can provide a profile statement for circulation with the voting ballot. The profile statement, to be received before the close of nominations, must:
- be in the English language and not exceed 150 words in length;
- be confined to a description of the candidate and of the candidate’s qualifications, skills and experience relevant to the Council;
- not contain information that is false, misleading or defamatory;
- include the candidate’s full name (in the form in which they have asked for it to be included on the ballot form), contact details and student ID;
The candidate may also provide a recent passport-sized photograph of their head or head and shoulders.
Candidate statements and photographs must be returned to the Secretariat by the closing date for nominations, 2:00pm on Wednesday, 6 July 2022.
- If only one valid nomination is received, that candidate will be elected unopposed.
- If more than one valid nomination is received, an election will be conducted to fill the position.
- The election will be conducted by Curtin’s electronic voting system Simply Voting.
- The system of voting will be Optional Preferential.
- The candidate who receives the highest number of votes following the distribution of preferences will be declared elected to Council.
- If an election is required, the Returning Officer will publish a Notice of Election on Monday, 11 July 2022.
- On the same day the Notice of Election is published, all undergraduate students will be emailed a link to a ballot webpage where candidate profiles, instructions relating to the voting process and information on the counting of votes will be available.
- A second email will be sent from Simply Voting on Tuesday, 19 July 2022 to those eligible to vote, containing information on how to vote on the Simply Voting website, including a link to vote and a username and password. This email will be sent to Curtin student email addresses.
- Those eligible to vote will be able to use this link to vote from receipt of the Simply Voting email on Tuesday, 19 July 2022 until the close of the voting period.
- The voting period will close at 5:00pm on Tuesday, 2 August 2022. After this time, it will no longer be possible to vote in this election.
- Votes will be counted as soon as practicable after the voting period ends.
- The result of the election will be declared by the Returning Officer on Thursday, 4 August 2022.
Further information on the election processes can be found on the Secretariat website.
Director, Secretariat and Council Secretary