This double degree provides students with an integrated education program in both exploration/applied geology and environmental biology. The program provides dual qualifications in these areas and provides graduates with unique opportunities to obtain employment in resource development and related land management fields involving natural resource management. Resource exploration and management frequently take place in arid environments and involve issues of restoration after mining, maintenance of biodiversity, eco-system management and rehabilitation of degraded and salt-affected landscapes. This hands-on, practical course reflects industry practises and provides a knowledge of the geological/biological principles required for management of both living and non-living resources.
What you'll learn
- apply fundamental geological or biological principles and concepts in theoretical, practical and vocational situations; expand discipline knowledges through research where appropriate
- solve resource exploration, environmental and sustainability problems through creative thinking and the extrapolation, interpolation and analysis of geoscience, enviroment and biological information
- collate, synthesise, and visualise geoscientific, enviroment and biological data sets using digital technologies, and communicate this information to industry and community stakeholders concisely and accurately using written, visual, and verbal means appropriate to the situation
- recognise the finite nature of Earth resources, and the need to manage and mitigate social, environment and biological impacts of resource exploration and extraction and geohazards
- recognise and value environmental, indigenous and other community perspectives and acknowledge the need for sustainable use of earth resources in the development of solutions to environmental problems in geological and geophysical activities
- work ethically and professionally, complying with applicable legislation and managing time and other resources efficiently and effectively; developing employability and leadership skills valued by industry, government and community