The Orientation Session for higher degree by research (HDR) students (doctoral and masters by research) sets the scene for research study at Curtin and includes hints for surviving your first year and beyond.
We recommend you also attend other activities being offered around the university so you get familiar with the campus, your specific school/department and key areas such as the library.
HDR students Orientation Semester 1 2022
These sessions include presentations from the Dean, Graduate Studies, experienced supervisors, the Library, Curtin Careers, Employment, and Leadership; the Curtin Institute for Computation; and the Student Guild (the Postgraduate Students’ Committee).
HDR Orientation resources
There are many areas across Curtin that provide services and support to you and your supervisor, including the Graduate Research School (GRS). The GRS administers HDR related policies, procedures and guidelines. Knowledge and awareness of these are essential for your progress. Select the resources below to view the presentations and recordings from the most recent HDR Orientation.
· HDR Orientation Program 24 February 2022 [.pdf 74 KB]
· 01 Overview by Dean, Graduate Studies [.pptx 17,474 KB]
· 02 Research integrity & ethics [.pptx 485 KB]
· 03a PG Students Committee – tips for success [.pptx 22,126 KB]
· 03b PG Students Committee and Guild services [.pptx 14,706 KB]
· 04 Academic language and literacy learning [.pptx 146 KB]
· 05 Computation skills – Curtin Institute for Computation [.pdf 5,140 KB]
· 06 Careers and leadership [.pdf 12,340 KB]
· 07 Library services & Faculty Librarian support [.pdf 2,160 KB)
· 08 Copyright [.pptx 2,944 KB]
· 09 Library GRASP program [.pptx 140 KB]
· 10 Research Data Management [.pptx 2,796]