Research internships are an excellent opportunity to apply your research skills and theory in a practical manner and expand your networks and employability by working on short-term research projects within industry. There are several pathways for research students to undertake an internship, such as those via our industry partners, or enterprises, businesses, and government agencies.
Internship benefits include:
- Applying your research skills and theory in a practical manner
- Boosting your employability
- Expanding your networks
- Contributing to industry; and
- Receiving financial support.
Whilst research master’s students are not eligible for the support funds, they are encouraged to undertake an internship opportunity. Research master’s students who transfer to a doctoral degree and have met the research internship criterion may be approved to access the support funds.
Click on the headings below for further details.
Australian Postgraduate Research Intern (APR.Intern) is Australia’s only national PhD internship program spanning all sectors and disciplines.
PhD students can apply for internships with industry partners, for between 3-6 months duration.
iPREP is an industry and PhD Research Engagement Program that provides PhD students the opportunity to gain industry experience while using skills gained in their PhD to solve an industry problem. The program provides you with new opportunities to network, build professional networks and enhance employability skills.
3 month placements available for Curtin students.
- Guidelines – RTP Eligible Internships [.pdf 401kB]
- Contracts – RTP Internship Agreements
- Doctoral Degree Internship – Checklist [.pdf 637kB]
- Doctoral Degree Internship Work Plan – Instructions [.pdf 71 kB]
- Doctoral Degree Internship Work Plan – Template [.pdf 131 kB]
- Milestone application forms
- Internship completion form [.pdf 550 kB]
- View recording (27 June) on Echo360
- Available for Curtin users only.
- You will be redirected to the student portal or staff portal. Please login using your Curtin credentials: staff should use email format email@example.com and students use format firstname.lastname@example.org.
Email ROC-Excellence@curtin.edu.au for further information.