Mining continues to enrich many communities in Australia and around the world. Mining professionals help plan and direct the extraction of minerals, petroleum and natural gas from the Earth.
In this course you will study mining methods, rock mechanics, geology and mine planning. You’ll develop the skills necessary to work with mining engineers in the exploitation of minerals from underground or open-pit mines, safely and economically.
Your first year of study will be at Curtin Perth, your second year will be at Curtin Perth or Curtin Kalgoorlie, and your final year will be at Curtin Kalgoorlie, where you can engage with industry and potential future employers.
You’ll also have the opportunity to undertake field trips to gain real-world experience in mining.
This major sits within the Bachelor of Science (Science) degree.
See our handbook for more course information.
How this course will make you industry ready
Curtin has excellent links with industry and our lecturers have real industry experience. We can also offer vacation work opportunities and graduate employment programs.
What jobs can the Mining lead to?
- Engineering consultant
- Mine manager
- Mine planning engineer
- Mine ventilation officer
- Mining company director
What you'll learn
- apply scientific, engineering and technological principles to mine development projects
- think critically and creatively to generate innovative solutions and apply logical and rational processes to analyse mine feasibility studies
- access, evaluate and synthesise mine planning and design information from multiple sources
- communicate in ways appropriate to the discipline of mining engineering, using the written word and oral presentations
- apply information technologies and mining software tools to conduct mine feasibility studies
- demonstrate responsibility and self-learning skills by applying critical reflection and being proactive
- describe mining in the global environment and apply best practice standards in mining methods and technologies
- demonstrate respect for cultural diversity in professional life
- work in accordance with professional standards and demonstrate responsibility towards the broader community; work in teams