In this course you will gain the knowledge and skills for careers in optimisation, as well as financial and industrial mathematics.
You’ll learn how to apply mathematical and statistical principles and concepts in mathematics career areas – including operations research, statistics, numerical analysis and applied mathematical modelling – and to solve related problems in science, industry, commerce and government.
You’ll develop skills in mathematics and statistical methods to analyse and resolve problems in science, engineering and finance; and learn to think creatively to generate innovative solutions.
In addition, you'll locate, extract and appraise evidence and scientific literature in relation to mathematical science, and use new technologies to gather data and communicate information.
What jobs can the Mathematics Major (BSc Science) lead to?
- Data analyst
- Information technologist
- Statistical analyst
- Supply-chain management
- Financial analyst
- Fraud analyst
- Communications specialist
- Market researcher
- Medical researcher
- Operations research analyst.
- Business and commerce
- Information technology
What you'll learn
- have demonstrated knowledge and understanding in Mathematics that is typically at a level that, whilst supported by advanced textbooks, includes some aspects that will be informed by knowledge of the forefront of Mathematics, GC1
- can apply their knowledge and understanding in a manner that indicates a professional approach to Mathematics, and have competencies typically demonstrated through devising and sustaining arguments (to both specialist and non-specialist audiences) and solving problems within Mathematics, GC2
- understand the constructs of the scientific method and apply these principles in Mathematics using digital technologies, GC3
- can gather and interpret relevant data within Mathematics to inform judgements that include reflection on relevant social, scientific, or ethical issues, including being aware of the diversity of international perspectives associated with Mathematics, and how these impact upon the practice of Mathematics, GC4
- understand and appreciate cultural diversity and how it impacts on the practice of Mathematics, GC5
- display a high standard of professional behaviour, including effective time management, both independently and as a team member, GC6