Japanese is a fascinating language that comprises several written systems and is spoken by 135 million people worldwide.
Japan is not only one of Australia’s top three trade partners; it is a gateway to Asian nations that are diverse, rapidly changing and rich with opportunities.
This double degree major is designed to provide you with a high level of literacy in Japanese and an advanced understanding of Japanese culture.
Prior study of Japanese is not required, and advanced classes are provided for students who have studied the language previously. The teaching methods that are applied to both spoken and written language use the latest technology and cultural awareness activities.
Upon graduating you will be ready to explore career opportunities in Japan and bilingual roles in Australia and internationally.
- Interpreter / translator
- Trade measurement officer
- Hotel / motel manager
- Tourism officer
- Flight attendant
- International trade
- Banking and finance
- Foreign affairs and trade
- Mining and minerals production
- Government / public service
- International relations
- International media
- Tourism and hospitality
What you'll learn
- apply knowledge of applied linguistics and intercultural communication
- critically analyse various issues in the context of cultural and linguistic differences
- locate and extract information from various sources and synthesise information using a target language
- communicate both orally and in writing effectively in a target language with cultural understanding
- use electronic sources in a target language to effectively collect information and communicate
- demonstrate an ability in self-directed learning
- evaluate and analyse issues arising in the region with in-depth knowledge of a target language and culture
- demonstrate an understanding of cultural practices and differences in different languages
- apply an ethical approach in professional practices; work independently and in teams with an intercultural understanding