Advertising and Design
Drive the development of creative advertising and capture consumers’ imagination and attention with your designs.
Check the application deadline for the parent course
If COVID-19 restrictions apply, we may need to make changes to units and/or delivery modes.
Top 1 %
Curtin is ranked in the top one per cent of universities worldwide.
Academic Ranking of World Universities 2022.
Get the Curtin edge
Access to leadership programs, specialist facilities and industry placements give you a competitive edge in the job market.
You’ll have access to a range of international study opportunities.
Effective advertising is persuasive, targeted, clever and original. When you study this course, you’ll not only learn how to bring creative ideas to life, you’ll also learn about the business processes behind the scenes, such as planning, consumer research and managing campaigns.
You’ll hone your skills in idea generation, art direction, design, creative strategy and critical thinking, and learn to use advertising and design effectively to drive business growth and development. You’ll also have the choice to expand your knowledge and skills in either brand management or copywriting.
The course is taught through authentic learning experiences that reflect real-world industry standards and practice, helping you begin your exciting career and easily transition to the workforce after you graduate.
Advertising and Design is offered as part of the Bachelor of Design. You will be able to enhance your degree by selecting to study either two additional minors or one minor and four elective units to support your career goals.
View our student profile table to get an indication of the likely peer cohort for new students at Curtin University. This table provides data on students that commenced undergraduate study and passed the census date in the most relevant recent intake period for which data are available. It includes those admitted through all offer rounds and international students studying in Australia.
Professional membership is available with the Design Institute of Australia.
- Creative director
- Art director
- Advertising and marketing coordinator
- Advertising campaign manager
- Account manager
- Account director.
- Media and communications
What you'll learn
- demonstrate cognitive and technical skills in both a broad understanding and depth in advertising and design
- use and discern between a range of technologies and media platforms in the production of advertising and design-based solutions
- demonstrate effective visual, spoken, written and technical communication appropriate to advertising design and apply effective self-directed learning skills
- demonstrate personal awareness of a design specific practice and sustain an engagement with contemporary practices, technologies and the creative industries
- develop a predictive overview of future trends that will influence advertising and design practices
- recognise the importance of social, ethical and cultural diversity and consider local and international perspectives in advertising and design activities, studio practice and production
- apply discipline knowledge to critically review, analyse, consolidate and contribute to evidence-based practice in advertising and design
- demonstrate how intercultural awareness and understanding impacts on personal and professional skills and on the ability to lead
- work independently and collaboratively on advertising design projects and respond to project demands
At Curtin, we understand that everyone’s study journey has been different.
You may have already studied some of the units (subjects) listed in your Curtin course, or you may have work experience that matches the degree requirements.
If this applies to you, you can apply for credit for recognised learning (CRL), which means your previous study is recognised and matched against a similar unit in your intended Curtin course.
A successful CRL application exempts you from having to complete certain units within your course and means you could finish your degree in a shorter amount of time.
CRL is also known as recognition of prior learning, advanced standing and credit transfer.
Use the CRL search to find out how much CRL you qualify for, or contact us at:
Webform: Submit here
Curtin Connect: 1300 222 888
Fees & charges
Please view the Bachelor of Design degree for indicative fees.
How to apply
Please review information on how to apply for the campus of your choiceApply now
Help is at hand
See our frequently asked questions or get in touch with us below.
- What are the alternative pathways into Curtin?
- What scholarships are available?
- What are my options to manage my study load?
- Browse all FAQs
- Opening hours:
- Mon to Fri: 8.30am – 4.30pm, except Tues: 9.30am – 4.30pm (AWST). Closed public holidays.