If you're a qualified physiotherapist with an interest in working with athletes and active people, the Master of Clinical Physiotherapy (Sports Physiotherapy) can help you achieve your professional goals.
This course will enable you to integrate the most up-to-date research and evidence-informed management into clinical and sporting physiotherapy practice.
Physiotherapy practice is a significant component of this course, in both the sporting and clinical environment. Experienced sports physiotherapists will supervise you through your clinical practice placements, and will work collaboratively with you to maximise your professional development.
Sports placements are in a variety of settings including elite sporting environments. Your placements will be tailored to suit your area of interest and level of experience.
How to apply
This course sits within the Graduate Certificate in Clinical Physiotherapy degree. To apply for this course, you will apply for the Graduate Certificate in Clinical Physiotherapy. In step 3 of the application process, you will be asked to confirm the stream you wish to study.
Applying as an undergraduate student is easy. For information tailored to your situation, visit our easy to follow instructions to get your application started.
Please refer to the handbook for additional course overview information.
How this course will make you industry ready
The Sports Physiotherapy Major can help you:
- gain the professional skills to improve your patient management, confidence and enjoyment of your career
- develop a high-level clinical reasoning skills using the Musculoskeletal Clinical Reasoning Framework to integrate research and evidence-informed practice into clinical practice
- develop the professional skills for advanced management of the active and sporting population, considering biopsychosocial factors in assessment and rehabilitation
- develop manual therapy skills for advanced level assessment and treatment that are relevant to the active and sporting population
- develop advanced level management planning skills including targeted exercise rehabilitation for sport-specific and active populations to improve patient outcomes and achieve successful return to sport
- develop your skills to work with elite level athletes and manage criterion-based return to sport planning.
What jobs can the Sports Physiotherapy Major (M ClinPhys) lead to?
A masters qualification in sports physiotherapy can lead to an exciting range of professional roles in elite and recreational sports teams, sporting organisations and private practice environments, opening up career opportunities in more advanced roles.
Sports physiotherapists are working in high level elite sporting organisations as medical directors, head physiotherapists, researchers and educators. It is a requirement to be a titled sports physiotherapist to work with national teams, institutes of sport and Olympic events.
- Sports Physiotherapist
What you'll learn
- synthesise evidence-based knowledge to provide sports physiotherapy at an advanced level in diverse and changing settings
- critically appraise evidence and information from a range of resources and apply to advanced sports physiotherapy practice
- communicate effectively with clients, community and industrial partners to effectively provide sports physiotherapy management at an advanced level to individuals and groups
- appraise current and emerging technologies that are relevant to advanced sports physiotherapy practice
- justify personal and professional knowledge, skills, attitudes and values, and the impact of these on the provision of advanced sports physiotherapy practice
- apply international standards and practice in advanced sports physiotherapy through continued development of cross-cultural awareness within a global health care perspective
- demonstrate respect for individual human rights and cultural diversity in promoting health and well-being in clinical and diverse populations amongst clientele and peers