Apply now

Student visas

About your student visa

An Australian student visa is a temporary visa that allows you to come to Australia for a specified period to study at an Australian educational institution. Your student visa will allow you to:

  • undertake full-time study in Australia (100 credits per semester at Curtin)*
  • stay in and re-enter Australia for the duration of your course
  • work up to 48 hours per fortnight during semester and unlimited hours during semester breaks.

* Study Abroad/Exchange students are able to enrol into 75 credits as a minimum enrolment and 100 credits as a maximum enrolment.

Any hours worked as part of internships, work integrated learning or work placements which are a mandatory requirement of your course will not count towards your fortnightly work hours cap.

Please check with your course coordinator if you are unsure. You can apply for visas to bring your family members as dependants as part of your student visa application. From the 1st July 2016 all new student visa applicants will receive the new subclass 500 student visa.

Applying for a student visa

You can apply for your student visa after you have accepted your offer from Curtin and received your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment. You can lodge your application through a registered Curtin agent or directly to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA). If you are applying directly, you will need to create an ImmiAccount and apply online through the DHA’s website. More information on student visas can be found on the Department of Home Affairs website.

You will need the following documentation when lodging your application:

  • a copy of your Letter of Offer
  • a copy of your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE)
  • your passport
  • the visa application payment specified on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Important things you need to know

Student visa conditions

There are strict conditions attached to Australian student visas, which you need to understand and comply with. Some of the conditions student visa holders are expected to comply with include:

  • Maintaining a full-time study load. For Curtin University students a full time load is 100 credits per semester.*
  • Making satisfactory academic progress
  • Completing their studies within the timeframe outlined on their eCoE
  • Working no more than 48 hours per fortnight during any study period. The only exception are for Masters by Research and Doctoral Research students who can work unlimited hours once they have commenced their studies.
  • Notifying the University of your address within seven days of your arrival, and if you change your address later.
  • Holding Overseas Student Health Cover from an Australian Government-approved provider for the duration of your visa
  • Maintaining adequate schooling arrangements if you have school-age dependants in Australia
  • Notifying the University of any changes to your visa status, for example being granted permanent resident status.

* Study Abroad/Exchange students are able to enrol into 75 credits as a minimum enrolment and 100 credits as a maximum enrolment.

Please note: Failure to comply with your student visa conditions could impact your ability to stay in the country. The conditions applied to your student visa will be listed in your official Visa Grant Notification email or letter. You can find more information on all visa conditions on the Department of Home Affairs website.

Looking for more information? Read our blog about all you need to know about getting a student visa in Australia

Welfare arrangements for student under 18 years of age

If you will be younger than 18 years of age when you arrive in Australia, you need to provide evidence to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) that appropriate welfare arrangements will be in place until you turn 18 or your visa expires. This means that you will be accompanied in Australia by a parent or legal custodian, or that Curtin University has made arrangements for your welfare, accommodation and support.

Transferring between institutions

If you are studying at an institution in Australia (other than Curtin) and already hold a student visa, you will need to either: obtain your electronic Confirmation of Enrolment document to renew your visa, or apply for a new visa under a different subclass to transfer to Curtin. If you want to transfer to Curtin before you have completed six months of study, you will need to obtain a release letter from your current institution.