How to apply for a Higher Degree by Research
A Higher Degree by Research is your chance to pursue a specialist area in your field and build knowledge in your profession.
Review our areas of research
Check your research interests align with Curtin’s current areas of research:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledge
- Agriculture and environment
- Biomedical and clinical science
- Business, society and community
- Chemical science
- Digital transformation
- Energy transition
- Health data to knowledge
- Healthy communities
- Resources, mining and minerals
- Structural engineering and monitoring
- Sustainable development
Choose a research degree
Curtin offers the following postgraduate research degrees:
Find a research supervisor
Ensure you have a proposed research topic in mind, and a current CV ready; prior to contacting a potential research supervisor via the Expression of Interest form. If you are unsure or are yet to find an appropriate supervisor, we recommend you contact the proposed enrolling school for advice. For example, if you are seeking to complete a DBA, you should contact the MBA Programs.
Write a research proposal
The merit of your postgraduate research will be judged on your proposal.
- state your research topic
- outline your research plan and objectives
- show you have sufficient experience and knowledge in the area
- demonstrate your research is significant and ethical
- be accompanied by any cited references.
View our recommendations on how to structure your research proposal.
Choose your course. Select “Apply now” and follow the prompts.
Help is at hand
See our frequently asked questions or get in touch with us below.
- Opening hours:
- Mon to Fri: 8.30am – 4.30pm, except Tues: 9.30am – 4.30pm (AWST). Closed public holidays.