Research degree applications
A Higher Degree by Research is your chance to pursue a specialist area in your field and build knowledge in your profession.
How to apply for a Higher Degree by Research
Review our areas of research
Check your research interests align with Curtin’s current areas of research:
- Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander knowledge
- Agriculture and environment
- Biomedical and clinical science
- Business, society and community
- Chemical science
- Digital transformation
- Energy transition
- Health data to knowledge
- Healthy communities
- Resources, mining and minerals
- Structural engineering and monitoring
- Sustainable development
Choose a research degree
Find a research supervisor
Ensure you have a proposed research topic in mind, and a current CV ready; prior to contacting a potential research supervisor via the Expression of Interest form. If you are unsure or are yet to find an appropriate supervisor, we recommend you contact the proposed enrolling school for advice. For example, if you are seeking to complete a DBA, you should contact the MBA Programs.
Write a research proposal
The merit of your postgraduate research will be judged on your proposal.
- state your research topic
- outline your research plan and objectives
- show you have sufficient experience and knowledge in the area
- demonstrate your research is significant and ethical
- be accompanied by any cited references.