Surviving your university years on a budget can be challenging, but don’t worry! This guide is here to offer practical tips and valuable resources for navigating the financial challenges of student life.
1. Affordable food solutions:
- Curtin Community Pantry: Access free non-perishable food and essentials to curb hunger.
- Student Guild FoodBank: Obtain basic food items for free through the Student Guild’s support.
- Guild Café Central: Discover daily lunch specials at the Guild Café Central (B104) for budget-friendly meals.
- Guild Student Kitchen: Enjoy complimentary tea, coffee, milk, and cereal supplies.
- G Mart: Hunt for reduced-price snacks in the special section.
- Community Veggie Garden: Explore fresh produce at Curtin’s Community Veggie Garden.
- Curtin Student Guild Facebook Page: Stay updated on free sausage sizzles and food giveaways.
2. Maximising discounts and benefits:
- Guild Discounts and Student ID: Activate your Guild membership and explore Curtin’s Student Guild website for over 100 businesses offering discounts to students.
- Guild Discounts at On-Campus Cafes: Many on-campus cafes provide Guild discounts such as Concept cafe and Main cafe.
- Travel SmartRider concessions: If you are a full-time student, you are entitled to a Tertiary SmartRider card. The card gives you concessional fares on Transperth (or TransGoldfields) buses, trains and ferries.
3. Staying active on a budget:
- Curtin’s FreePlay: Engage in free daily sports activities from 9am to 11am.
- Plus Fitness Melville: Save on membership fees and access the gym at a reduced cost.
- Twisting Peacock Yoga: Students can enjoy 30 days of yoga for a budget-friendly rate.
- S30 Studio South Perth: Avail of discounted memberships for physical wellness.
- Curtin’s Exercise Clinic: Participate in affordable exercise sessions through the Exercise Clinic.
4. Affordable healthcare options:
- Curtin Clinic Cockburn: Access free interprofessional services across various disciplines.
- Physiotherapy Treatment: Receive affordable physiotherapy treatment for injuries.
- Adult Speech and Language Clinic: Benefit from free services for speech and language difficulties.
- Oral Health Centre of Western Australia: Get subsidised dental care by booking an appointment.
5. Free contraceptives:
- Guild Reception: Condoms are free for students at the Guild Reception, thanks to the WA AIDS Council.
6. Financial Support and Emergency Assistance
- Emergency loans: The Guild and the University both provide emergency loans to students facing unexpected financial difficulties. Find out more here.
- Scholarships: Curtin offers a range of scholarships, including those specifically designed to help students facing financial hardships.
By leveraging these student resources, you can make your university experience more enriching and alleviate some of the financial burdens.
For more information on financial assistance, visit the Financial Advice page on Current Students or reach out to Guild Student Assist/Social Workers.