Screen-based media is an extensive industry that is growing in exciting new directions.
The Screen Arts double degree major prepares you for comprehensive opportunities in the expanding screen-based media industry.
You will learn to apply screen theories to create your own works, whether in the realm of factual, events or drama.
You’ll use Curtin’s advanced production facilities to develop the technical and practical skills of an effective visual storyteller. These facilities include:
- Western Australia’s largest working television studio in a tertiary setting
- a suite of high-definition cameras
- sound recording, lighting and grips equipment
- editing, grading and audio postproduction labs.
In your final year you’ll write, direct or produce a major screen production to industry standard.
This major combines both theory and practice. You will develop practical and analytical skills while developing an understanding of a growing multiplatform industry.
What jobs can the Screen Arts Double Degree Major (BA/BCom) lead to?
- Media / communications advisor
- Corporate communications
- Local government and public service
What you'll learn
- explain critical theories relating to film, video and other forms of screen production and apply them to the development and production of high quality screen-based materials
- apply critical thinking and creative approaches to resolve issues and respond to challenges in their own creative practice
- access, evaluate and synthesise appropriate information in order to realise production outcomes
- communicate ideas to a range of audiences across a variety of media and purposes
- utilise media production technologies and apply them to create effective programs and screen-based materials
- apply learning strategies to build on skills and understandings in order to adapt to continually changing industry needs
- recognise the significance of global media and be able to apply international standards and practices in their creative practice
- value the cultural and intercultural nature of screen-based media and represent this knowledge at a personal and professional level
- demonstrate professional behaviour and standards and work collaboratively to apply them in all aspects of production-related activities