This double degree major will equip you with the linguistic skills and cultural competence to work in China-related areas and in China.
Spoken by 1.3 billion people, Chinese is the world’s most spoken first language. China also has one of the world’s most vibrant economies, and is a major trade partner of Australia - so the skills gained from this double degree major can provide valuable career opportunities across the globe.
With Asia’s continuing social and economic growth, an understanding of Chinese language and culture is increasingly important in global engagement.
This major will provide you with the knowledge and skills required for a diverse international career.
You will gain a high level of literacy in Chinese – listening, speaking, reading and writing – and a deep understanding of Chinese culture and society.
This major is suitable for all students: previous study of Chinese is not required; advanced classes are provided for students who have studied Chinese previously and specific units are offered for native speakers of the language.
What jobs can the Chinese lead to?
- Research officer
- Foreign affairs and trade officer
- Interpreter / translator
- Tourism information officer / tour guide
- Welfare worker
- Teacher – English as a Second Language
- Global business
- International relations
- Public service
What you'll learn
- apply knowledge of applied linguistics and intercultural communication
- critically analyse various issues in the context of cultural and linguistic differences
- locate and extract information from various sources and synthesise information using a target language
- communicate both orally and in writing effectively in a target language with cultural understanding
- use electronic sources in a target language to effectively collect information and communicate
- demonstrate an ability in self-directed learning
- evaluate and analyse issues arising in the region with in-depth knowledge of a target language and culture
- demonstrate an understanding of cultural practices and differences in different languages
- apply an ethical approach in professional practices; work independently and in teams with an intercultural understanding