Surveyors use sophisticated technology and scientific principles to provide practical surveying solutions and services to numerous areas of government and industry.
Curtin offers the only comprehensive honours degree in surveying in Western Australia. The course draws upon elements from a diversity of disciplines, including computing, engineering, environmental science, geography, geology, management, mathematics and physics.
You'll study specialist areas such as cadastral surveying, engineering surveying, geodesy and photogrammetry; and related areas such as hydrographic surveying, land development, mine surveying, planning and remote sensing.
You’ll also become familiar with high-tech areas such as airborne and marine navigation, drone surveying, digital mapping, land and environmental management, laser scanning, satellite positioning and specialised alignment surveying.
What jobs can the Surveying (Honours) lead to?
- Engineering surveyor
- Hydrographic surveyor
- Licensed land surveyor
- Mine surveyor.
- Government (local, state and federal)
- Real estate
- Scientific and technical services.
What you'll learn
- Apply surveying principles, concepts and methods to surveying tasks and applications
- Think critically and creatively to generate innovative solutions and apply logical and rational processes to analyse surveying problems by recognising and applying technologies to their advantages and limitations when applied to surveying
- Access, evaluate and synthesise surveying, spatial and related information from multiple sources, communicate in ways appropriate to the discipline of surveying
- Analyse, describe and engage in Australian and international best practice standards in surveying methods and technologies through self-learning skills by applying critical reflection and being proactive
- Recognise and appreciate diverse indigenous knowledge perspectives, cultures, histories as well as apply professional and surveying discipline specific tasks and contexts in relation to indigenous peoples, and cultural capabilities
- Work ethically and professionally, both within a team and independently