High-achieving graduates of the Bachelor of Arts can enhance their degree with a one-year honours qualification.
An honours degree enables you to:
- deepen your understanding of a specialist topic
- produce an in-depth dissertation or creative work
- enhance your research, analytical and communication skills
- join a community of like-minded, inspiring researchers
- increase your appeal to future employers
- support your eligibility for doctoral level studies.
Specialise in a research area
In your honours year you’ll deepen your knowledge of your chosen area, with the guidance of an honours supervisor.
Your research topic will be related to your undergraduate studies.
After completing an in-depth independent study (with the support of your supervisor) you’ll apply the concepts learned to a dissertation or creative project.
Please refer to the handbook for additional course overview information.
How this course will make you industry ready
This one-year program adds value to your undergraduate degree by developing your research, analytical and communication skills, preparing you for higher degree by research or industry employment.
What you'll learn
- apply knowledge of abstract ideas to the investigation of a research or creative research outcome
- critically evaluate the effectiveness of research techniques to apply an appropriate analytical mode of investigation
- formulate a research question, apply an appropriate methodology to provide an informed address to that question, and assess the evidence gathered to reach a conclusion
- effectively communicate orally, visually, and in written format an argument based on research and/or creative findings
- access and apply in an accurate manner the appropriate information and communication technology resources for a research project
- work independently to produce a dissertation or a combination of an exegesis and creative project
- generate new understandings and interpretation of issues by drawing on a range of perspectives
- employ new understandings within the field of Humanities to achieve research objectives
- apply research skills both collaboratively and individually in a discipline