The Advanced Specialty Practice specialisation is available to study as a graduate certificate and as part of the Master of Advanced Practice.
Key components include:
- analysing and evaluating advanced concepts of specialty nursing practice and integrating expert knowledge to achieve specialist knowledge
- advanced knowledge of safety and quality in healthcare systems, clinical governance, and the processes of achieving continuous improvement in health systems
- complex clinical decision-making, evidence-informed specialty practice, patient advocacy and holistic specialty practice.
In addition, this specialisation explores the application of new and emerging technologies that are relevant to specialty practice.
The Graduate Certificate in Advanced Speciality Practice is offered as an online course studied on a part-time basis only, as concurrent employment is required. We recommend that you study one or two units per semester.
The Graduate Certificate in Advanced Speciality Practice is offered in semesters 1 and 2 at both Curtin Perth Bentley and Curtin Singapore.
Note: This specialisation is not available to international students studying in Australia on a student visa.
See our handbook for more information.
What you'll learn
- analyse critically, and evaluate advanced concepts of specialty nursing practice; integrate expert knowledge and integrated understanding to demonstrate competency at a level in accordance with specialty competency standards
- critically analyse, reflect on and synthesise the environmental, physical and psychosocial aspects of the individual for effective clinical decision making; recognise own abilities and level of professional competence
- investigate, analyse and synthesise complex evidence and scientific literature to inform decision making in specialty practice
- integrate advanced communication skills within a legal and ethical framework related to complex clinical issues in area of specialty; interpret and transmit knowledge, skills and ideas to specialist and non-specialist audiences
- effectively anticipate, plan for and use complex technology applications relevant to specialty practice
- integrate autonomous, expert judgement, adaptability and responsibility as a lifelong learner in specialty practice; participate in research and critically appraise research findings and incorporate evidence based knowledge into clinical
- critically appraise, evaluate and incorporate national and global health issues and strategic health care directions into specialty nursing practice
- incorporate culturally aware and respectful specialty care to multicultural groups and indigenous communities
- incorporate advanced theoretical and specialist knowledge and judgment, including advanced leadership and autonomy into specialty practice; work professionally in specialty practice demonstrating expert judgement, leadership and independence as a nurse in area of specialty; act as an experienced positive role model to peers and other members of the healthcare team