OS-HELP is a financial assistance initiative introduced by the Australian Government to assist eligible students who want to study some of their Curtin course overseas.
The loan can be used for a range of expenses associated with the overseas study, such as airfares, accommodation and other travel or study expenses.
OS-HELP loans are administered through Curtin University on behalf of the Australian Government according to the procedures set out below.
- Applications open: 15 January 2023
- Applications close: 30 November 2023
*Please note that applications may take between 6-8 weeks to be processed from assessment to payment of funds.
Applicants must meet all of the following criteria to be eligible to apply for an OS-HELP Loan in 2023:
- Students must meet the minimum eligibility requirements set out by the Australian Government found on the Study Assist OS-HELP loans website.
- Australian citizen, Permanent Humanitarian Visa holder or New Zealand citizen Special Category Visa (SCV) holder.
- Enrolled in a Commonwealth Supported Place at Curtin University
- Not received an OS‑HELP Loan on more than one other occasion
- Completed a minimum of 200 credits towards your current enrolled course of study at Curtin University (this may include CRL)
- Minimum Course Weighted Average (CWA) of 50
- Not have commenced the final 25 credits of study for current course at Curtin before the overseas study program is completed
- Study will be outside of Australia
- Study will be full-time whilst overseas
- Have a valid Tax File Number
- Either receive credits, log book hours or accreditation for overseas study or overseas study has been organised and endorsed by Curtin University (eg study tours and internships)
- Application is received by Go Global before the conclusion of the applicant’s study program
You can apply for an OS-HELP loan amount that is less than the maximum OS-HELP loan amount but not more. For more information visit the OS-HELP loans website How much can I borrow?
- Download and complete the Mobility Coordinator Approval Form [.pdf 461kB] – your mobility coordinator will need to sign this as part of your application. If you are going on a Go Global exchange program, you will not need to complete this step.
- Complete the OS-HELP Application Form online and attach any required documentation. This will include your Mobility Coordinator Approval Form and a copy of your passport (or other document showing your citizenship)
- Submit your application online
- Application will be assessed by Go Global
- Go Global will send the outcome of your application via your student email within 4 to 6 weeks
If your application is eligible, you will be required to:
- Read and accept the 2022 OS-HELP Loan Statement of Terms and Conditions [.pdf 657 kB]
- Submit an eCAF via your student OASIS using the instructions provided to you
- Set up your bank details through your student Oasis using the instructions provided to you
Please note: OS-HELP offers lapse within 30 days of offer date. You must submit your eCAF and set up your bank details within 30 days of your OS-HELP offer date or you will be required to re-apply for the loan.
Incomplete applications/missing documentation may result in delays to your application being processed.
Applications close 30 November or until all available loans have been exhausted.